Wait a second.
Why would I pick one day to be proud of who I am? That's ridiculous. Conversely for anyone trying to fit the lifestyle on that one day, I say wait for Halloween - that's the one day out of the year we can be somebody else. Me? I usually choose to be some kind of clawed monster, but I'm weird like that.
What I have never chosen to be is a geek. It is simple me. I am who I am and I just so happen to take joy in things that culture has deemed to have a bit of a dorky subtext to it.
So be it, I say!
My name is Rick Gualtieri and I like:
- Playing Dungeons and Dragons
- Watching cartoons
- Collecting Transformers
- Sporting a Decepticon symbol tattoo
- Playing with medieval weapons that I have a better chance of killing myself with than mastering.
- Quote Conan The Barbarian nearly verbatim
- Build my own PC from scratch
- Debate whether Vegeta could beat the snot out of Superman
- Know the dimensions, armament, and maximum warp speed of the various Enterprises
- Look at a programming language I've never learned and instantly have a moderate clue as to what it does
Unless there are presents.
There are presents, right?
No? Well that sucks.
Then I say it again, why do I need to day to celebrate being me?
On this day we're supposed to raise our glasses of mead (or strawberry margaritas...hey, I gotta be me!) and toast to who we are, and why shouldn't we? But that doesn't mean we can't do the same tomorrow or every day thereafter.
Happy Geekiness Day 2014 everyone!
Interested in geeking out some more? Check out SingleHop's blog where their employees are celebrating their favorite geek out moments. I am especially fond of this post...Steampunk and PC building, is there any better match made in heaven?