Halloween season is looming, Sunset Strip is almost ready for release, and I need some help letting the world know about it. However, I've never been entirely comfortable with just asking people to do things for me without offering something in return. Thus, I am pleased to announce the 2013 Get Killed with Bill Sweepstakes.
Why? Because I want to do horrible, terrible things to you!…
...figuratively of course.
You could win a brief cameo in the upcoming Tome of Bill book 5, Goddamned Freaky Monsters - brief being the operative word. Why? Because your tenure in Bill’s universe will be short, but spectacularly bloody. You’ll get to meet the star of the series, Bill Ryder, then meet a fittingly gruesome fate. How will you kick the bucket? Will you be disemboweled or dismembered? Will you implode or explode? Will your face become intimately acquainted with an industrial blender set to frappe? Who knows? All I can say is that your end will be one to remember.
But that’s not all:
1 Grand Prize winner will:
- Appear as a character in Goddamned Freaky Monsters, in which "you" will get to meet both the star of the series and your maker.
- Be offered a role as a beta reader for the book so as to get an advance view of the story as well as provide feedback on your own personal ending
- Receive a free copy of the ebook upon release
- Receive autographed copies of all the Tome of Bill paperbacks to date, including Goddamned Freaky Monsters upon its release
- Receive an autographed copy of the Goddamned Freaky Monsters paperback upon its release
- Receive an autographed copy of Bill The Vampire, the first in the Tome of Bill series
How to Enter:
Entry into the contest is simple: Help me promote the launch of Sunset Strip: a Tale From the Tome of Bill once it is released and then let me know about it via email, or direct message on Facebook or Twitter.
How can you help spread the word? That’s entirely up to you.
- Sharing the news on Facebook, Twitter, or with your email buddies
- Dressing up as a Tome of Bill character for a convention like ComiCon (despite that most people will have no idea who you are)
- Tattooing “BUY BILL THE VAMPIRE” across your torso and then streaking naked onto the field during the next Giants game.*
*Note: please don’t actually do that last one or anything else that would get me arrested as an accomplice.
Q) When does the contest start and end?
A) The contest is open now. It will run through Nov 15th, 2013.
Q) That name of the contest...that's not a spoiler for book 5 is it?
A) Nice try, Columbo. No. I was just looking for a cute contest name and liked how it sounded. It has no bearing on the plot of book 5.
Q) So if I win, I get a piece of the pie, right? I mean, that's me in your book isn't it? Don't I deserve proper recompense?
A) No, what will appear in the book will be a character, not the real you. I will retain full copyright of your name and likeness as it pertains to appearing within the Tome of Bill series. This is just a fun cameo, not a get rich quick scheme. Go sell Amway products if that's what you're looking for.
Q) I'm pretty fond of my own ass, but what do you say about me bumping off my inlaws / stupid cousin / dipshit neighbors instead?
A) Save that stuff for your therapist. I'm not your personal literary hitman. You can only enter yourself and you must be 18 or over to commit to your ultimate Bill-related fate.
Q) What if I win then decide it's a bad omen to let you skin my avatar alive and let it be devoured by mutant cockroaches?
A) If I any point prior to publication you decide to call it quits, I will respect that. It's easy enough to change a name....although we'll both know the truth, wuss.
Q) What if the method you choose to off "me" is totally and utterly fucked up to the point where I'll be in therapy for the rest of my life?
A) This is supposed to be a fun contest, not a way for me to traumatize my readers. That's why you get to be a beta reader. If you feel what I'm doing is in bad taste (well okay, really bad taste) let's discuss. The point of this is for you to have something neat to show to your friends, not totally creep you out. I'm willing to be flexible for those who have been cool enough to support me.
Q) Can I enter more than once?
A) Yes. I'm all for a little extra promotion. Thus each different way you can help me spread the word will count toward another chance to win (note: sharing on places like Facebook and Twitter will still only count as one entry....just to keep people from abusing the system by creating sockpuppet accounts or anything like that).
Q) Are there any limits?
A) Of course. Doing anything illegal, morally reprehensible, or downright stupid will get you disqualified. I don't want anyone appearing on the 6 o'clock news because of this. Creation of fake accounts, reviews, or anything else of the sort will likewise be an automatic DQ. When in doubt, ask.
And now for the cover my ass legalese...
Sweepstakes Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
Purchase does not increase chance of winning.
1 Grand Prize winner will:
- Appear briefly as a character in the novel Goddamned Freaky Monsters (the Tome of Bill, part 5) **.
- Become a beta reader for the book so as to get an advance view of the story as well as provide feedback on your own personal ending
- Receive a free e-copy of the book upon release
- Receive autographed copies of the paperbacks of: Bill The Vampire, Scary Dead Things, The Mourning Woods, Holier Than Thou, Sunset Strip, and Goddamned Freaky Monsters
- Receive an autographed copy of the paperback novel of Goddamned Freaky Monsters (the Tome of Bill, part 5) upon its release
- Receive an autographed paperback copy of Bill The Vampire (the Tome of Bill, part1)
How to enter: You may enter the Sweepstakes through the following means:
Direct Message via:
Alternate means of entry: Mail a 4" x 6" card with the following information:
- Your full name
- Your complete address
- Valid email address (if you do not have an email address, print "no email address")
- How you helped promote Sunset Strip
- The words “I WANT TO BE KILLED WITH BILL SWEEPSTAKES”
Freewill Press LLC
PO Box 175
Dunellen, NJ 08812
Only one entry card will be accepted per person. All entries become the exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. You must enter your own name for the Grand Prize. No substitutes, including but not limited to: family, friends, spouse, or children, will be allowed.
Terms and Conditions
1) By submitting an entry, you fully and unconditionally agree to and accept these Official Rules.
2) Sweepstakes entries are limited to the United States and District of Columbia and is void where prohibited. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Subject to any governmental approval that may be required, Sponsor reserves the right to, without prior notice and at any time, terminate the Sweepstakes, in whole or in part, or modify Sweepstakes in any way, should any factor interfere with its proper conduct as contemplated by these Official Rules. Sweepstakes will begin on the announced release date of Sunset Strip and will continue until Nov 15 2013. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to cancel the sweepstakes in its entirety, or only the online portion, if it becomes technically corrupted or because of non-authorized human intervention.
3) Eligibility. Must be at least 18 years old to enter. Employees, officers, characters, or directors of Sponsor, its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, and their children, parents, spouse, and members of their household are ineligible to participate. No purchase or online entry necessary. Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the United States. A purchase does not enhance your chance of winning.
4) Effective date of entries. Entries made online will be effective on the day received. Entries submitted by mail will be effective on the date Sponsor receives and processes the entry. All entries become the exclusive property of Freewill Press LLC and will not be acknowledged or returned. You are responsible for your costs of entering, including online access charges, long distance telephone charges, and postage.
5) Selection of winners. Winners will be determined by random drawing from all eligible entries received. Drawings will be held as soon as is commercially reasonable. Winners must agree to the use of their names, voices, and/or likeness for the purpose of advertising, trade, or promotion without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
Notification of winners. Sweepstakes winner will be notified by email or direct message. A message will be sent to the winner within one week after the monthly drawing. All decisions are final and binding. Should the email be returned to the Sponsor as invalid, two more attempts will be made via email and one by regular mail if applicable. Winners must contact the Sponsor within 5 calendar days from the date the notification is sent by Sponsor to claim their prize. Failure to contact Sponsor within that 5 day period will result in immediate disqualification of the selected entrant and a new winner will be selected. No exceptions will be made to this rule. Sponsor is not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify winners.
6) Odds of winning. The odds of winning any drawing will be determined by the number of eligible entries received.
7) In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted an online entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email account.
8) Other conditions. Sponsor, its agents and representatives, its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies and legal advisors are not responsible for and will not be liable for (I) late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, unintelligible or postage due entries; (II) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties of any kind; (III) failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions; (IV) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Sponsor that may cause Sweepstakes to be disrupted or corrupted; (V) any injuries losses or damages of any kind arising in connection with or as a result of the Sweepstakes, or from participation in the Sweepstakes; or (VI) any printing or typographical error in any material associated with the Sweepstakes.
Freewill Press LLC will retain sole copyright to the grand prize winner’s name and likeness as they appear in the Tome of Bill series of books, ebooks, and audiobooks. Grand Prize Winner must agree to the use of their names, voices, and/or likeness for the purpose of advertising, trade, or promotion without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
9) Indemnification. You agree to release and hold Sponsor, its employees, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, representatives, parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies, and legal advisors, harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with the Sweepstakes, including without limitation, personal injury, death and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. This sweepstakes is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to Freewill Press LLC and the sweepstakes sponsor, not to Facebook.
10) Choice of law. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of you and Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, will be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the state of New Jersey.